Old 02-02-2006, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins

Default Wasps in middle of winter

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Des Higgins wrote:
I have never seen a hornet in teh UK but the ones on teh continent are
simply HUGE. They blot out the sun.
Basically they look like normal wasps except for size. UK wasps do bite
heads of bumble bees although I have never seen it.

Last August, at my cousin's house in Bordeaux, I died, I did. Coming
out of the swimming pool, I put on my trousers and went into the
kitchen. My husband was on the phone (he never stops) and suddenly I
felt the worst pain I had ever felt on my inside leg - and I've been
stung many time - but this pain made me feel sick instantly. I started
screaming, trying to remove my trousers, in front of my husband still
on the phone but now totally silent at the scene unfolding in front of
him, but for a brief second he looked as if to say 'what, here, now?'.
By then everybody was in the kitchen desperate to help me remove my
trousers. A hornet, the size of my head, was still clinging inside the
trouser leg. I sobbed as if I was 6 years old and it took me an entire
day to recover from it.

Holey mudder of divine sweet jayzes!