Old 02-02-2006, 03:32 PM posted to rec.gardens
James

Default Global warming?

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "James" contains these words:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

. Kyoto was supposed to be
the
answer
and now it's all but dead. The signees of the treaty have not

reduced
any of
their emissions

You're mistaken. KYOTO is only the tip of the iceberg; it's
acknowledged here as too little too late. FYI, the whole of

Europe is
committed to much tighter emission reductions than KYOTO. In

Britain,
we're working on three different reduction commitments

,international

Yes. I know Europe is much more rabid about it than we are. But from

what
I've read, no one has yet met their Kyoto targets.

That's unsurprising since the target date is still 4 years away.
Latest assessments are that Britain and Sweden are on target to meet
their Kyoto commitment by 2010 with Austria a close third.

As I understand it, there are target dates year by year and none have

been
met. Britain started out pretty well when they converted to natural gas

but
failed to meet their target.

Then you're misinformed. The Kyoto agreement happened 1997-99, 30
years AFTER Britain converted to natural gas. Our undersea gas fields
are now declining. Next year we'll become a net importer of natural gas
:-(, so that's another unsustainable, expensive, limited energy source
which we need to reduce dependence on (like coal before it, and oil
currently). Especially after what just happened in Georgia.

The conversion occurred in the early 90s. The targets are shooting for 1990
levels. The UK's legally binding Kyoto target is to reduce emissions of six
greenhouse gases, of which CO2 is the main one, to 12.5 percent below 1990
levels by 2009-2012.