Old 26-02-2003, 06:57 PM
Kay Easton

Default Germination medium to prevent damping off

In article , Martin Sykes
writes
"Neil Jones" wrote in message
. com...

Vermiculite or perlite are possiblities. Which is best? I am a
conservationist and I love wild plants and their habitats too so I do
not wish to use any products containing peat.

I think they are both made from some sort of volcanic product. Don't know
what but I haven't heard of any environmental concerns over the production
of either. I was thinking of trying (compost)+(thin layer of
vermiculite)+(seed)+(vermiculite). I'm wondering if keeping the seed off the
soil but close enough for the roots to reach it may help reduce problems.

Vermiculite is expanded mica, which occurs naturally as thin sheets,
though under what circumstances it's produced I don't know.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/