Old 26-02-2003, 07:20 PM
Emrys Davies

Default Rabbits!

Rabbit proof plants|shrubs

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...185123690.html

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

"John Hutchison" wrote in message
Hello All,

I've been lurking here for a while, and enjoyed many of the

discussions on
here.

Please bear with me if I'm bringing up a subject that seems to

reappear
every year, but I've done my searching and can't find any suitable

answers
for my particular problem.

I've moved into a new housing estate last February, and I'm slowly

working
my way towards getting the garden into shape, taking it a little at a

time
as I'm new to gardening. At the front, I have a reasonable piece of

turf,
with two borders - one at the furthest end of the garden from the

house, and
the other beneath the living room window.

The border furthest from the house is constantly being used as a

walk-in
restaurant by the local rabbit population, and I'm nearly driven to

despair
by the tenacity of the little beggers. I have seen them destroy two
heathers, a couple of grasses (which were meant as sacrificial

offerings in
any case), some lithodora, and some tritellia (sp?). There is also a

dwarf
juniper that is VERY spiky and a small conifer (can't remember the

exact
variety right now). Now that most of the readily edible material is

gone,
the rabbits are starting to nip at the juniper and the conifer. When

they
find that the shrubbery is not to their liking, they seem to decide

that the
roots might be tastier, and take a little dig and nip there. Luckily,

they
have not decided to gnaw at the bark of the Prunus 'Spire' that lives

in the
same bed, but I fear it is only a matter of time...

The problem is that like most new estates, I am prevented from placing

any
reasonable height of fencing to keep them away. I can't use

ultrasound
devices as they would upset my two cats (and no, the cats aren't much

help
as they were raised in a city flat and are just about the same size as

the
rabbits!). Short of using the wonder spray (lead shot), is there

anything
else I could be doing to discourage my little visitors?

I do have some other plants available that they may find distasteful,
however making a usable display out of them is another matter. I have

a few
gentianas, a couple of linums, some lemon thyme, some crocosmia

'lucifer',
Rhus lacti-something or other (I think it's latin for milky sap?),

scabiosa,
and lavenders (english and french). They are all either sitting on

the back
patio waiting for a home, or in other parts of the garden. Are there

any of
these that are known to be rabbit proof?

Thanks in advance,

John