Old 02-02-2006, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

Default Propagating Echium Pinninana from seed

"echinosum" wrote in message

E. Pinninana is more tender than I would normally bother with in my
garden 400ft up on the windy Chiltern plateau, especially on the
evidence of a green-fingered friend on the Somerset Levels losing his
to frost (he bought the plants in Scilly). But my brother put them out
in his garden in a small town in Leicestershire, where the daffs come
out about 2 or 3 weeks later than Severnside Somerset. They
overwintered and flowered last summer to everyone's amazement, no
special treatment or precautions used, though admittedly it was a
rather sheltered village-centre location. I've collected some seeds
from his plants, in the hope that these have unusually hardy genes.

So now what do I do with the seeds?

--
echinosum

How tall did it grow?
I have seen this grown in a sheltered spot at a Nursery in Yorkshire .
I was told that winter wet is the enemy and not the cold -so needs good
drainage. I gave up a few years ago.
Just sow the seeds now under glass.