Old 02-02-2006, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
ned

Default Chafer grubs?? Help please!!

Chris wrote:
Our front lawn has been under attack from crows, they have been
rooting up the turf, down to bare soil. I assumed it was "just one

of
those things" until it has become very noticeable indeed. A
knowledgeable neighbor has said the previous owners of our property,
out in the sticks here in north Shropshire, had a problem in the
1970's with a Chafer grub infestation, and she came over with a fork
and turned back turf near where the birds have been foraging. I was
shocked to see the turf turn back like pulling up old carpet
underlay, the roots seem to have been eaten away! The lawn is over

an
acre in size, with perhaps 10% affected, and I only judge affected
areas as those where the birds have seen fit to forage. I found LOTS
of grubs, all the same size and coloration, and I have put pictures
up at

http://www.newbury-house.com/grubs/grubs.html

Click on the small images to see them full size please.

Is her opinion correct,

Yes, I'd say that's a pretty safe bet.
Mind you, an expert would want one under a microscope before
committing him/herself.

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk