Old 03-02-2006, 12:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
shazzbat

Default growing potatoes

"Nicole H" wrote in message
I'm in the San Joaquin valley. Our soil tends to be alkaline. Well, at
the elementary school, we have a Life Lab (hands on science w/garden
plots). I have a few teachers who want to grow potatoes.
My gardening book says that pototoes need acidic soil but not to use lime.
How else do I get the soil to move to the acidic side? We're about 7.5 to
8.0.

Plant in plenty of compost/manure. Potatoes are generally not fussy about
soil types, they're one of the easiest things to grow, always recommended
for the beginner and for children. Further to an earlier thread, I would
recommend chitting them before planting, i.e put them in boxes in the light
so they start to sprout. Kids will especially like this part of the process.

Isn't the San Joaquin valley in California? I don't know anything about
frost conditions there, but they should be planted out when there's not too
much danger of frost. Once they're showing, if a frost is forecast, bury the
tips with an inch or two of soil, and that will protect them.

Incidentally, I think it's great that you're getting the kids interested
from an early age, I'm not sure that many schools here in UK do much in that
department.

Steve