Old 03-02-2006, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

Default accessing urg through outlook express

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Sacha wrote:
On 3/2/06 11:01, in article
, "Phil L"
wrote:

jay jay wrote:
up till now I've been happily accessing URG through Garden Banter,
great for me, so I thought, but thanks to helpful advice on another
thread I'm beginning to realise I would be better off accessing
through a newsreader (newsgroup?).

I have set up what I thought was the right access to URG through
Outlook Express but all I get are loads of emails with no means of
following a thread. It seems I might not have the right set up. (I
would prefer to use Outlook Express rather than anything else) Would
really appreciate some advice as to what I should do? (Apologies
for not explaining myself very well - And please, the simplest
piece of advice would probably be really helpful)

jay jay

They are not emails, each one is a thread, you need to click the +
sign to the left of each one and it will open into a full thread.

He might also need to go into the 'View' option and click on Threaded.
Without that the posts appear in date order but not in threads, IIRC.

OK, so could somebody give JJ a step-by-step recipe in Delia Smith
style, omitting no detail and making no assumptions of prior knowledge?
I'd do it myself, but I use n.i.n. as a news server -- I didn't even
know you _could_ use OE on its own -- and would give duff gen.

JJ: note, while we're at it, that the general opinion is that one
shouldn't use Outlook Express for email, as, apart from anything else,
it's not at all secure. Plain Outlook is OK -- we never had any trouble
from it at work, anyhow.

--
Mike.

Sue has already given a link which is about as comprehensive and simple as
it gets.
Outlook Express is fine assuming you are using latest windows updates and
have the usual security measures in place.