Old 03-02-2006, 09:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mark Anderson

Default Building Container Soil

In article says...
Too much of anything can be bad but the quoted paragraphs
make compost sound like arsenic!

I'm just quoting what I read on that Gardenweb site. I have always used
compost in my mix and have read that veggies, especially tomatoes,
require a layer of compost in the container to grow right. I guess the
non-compost people suggest that all the nutrients in a container garden
should come from fertilization. I also need to become more familiar
with fertilization since I don't think I do that correctly either. I
usually buy those Miracle Grow packets you mix with water and every
plant but the tomatoes get the same feeding. The tomatoes get the
special Miracle Grow tomato mix.