Old 03-02-2006, 11:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
V_coerulea

Default growing potatoes

I agree with you that aluminum has been implicated in the progression
(possible cause?) of Alzheimers disease but there is no proof or indication
that the aluminum comes from salts in the soil absorbed by plants. How many
people cook in aluminum cookware including high temp frying pans? How many
take megadoses of Maalox (magnesium aluminum hydroxide) for upset stomach?
8% of the earth's crust is aluminum. To be sure most of it is fairly inert
aluminum oxide but that still leaves plenty of room for other salts. You're
not going to escape aluminum most anywhere you go so I really don't think
the amount required to correct pH is going to add to your annual intake from
all sources.
As I pointed out, it's really just a quick fix anyway. I live in an area of
pines and oaks and we have acidic soil. However, the pinestraw mulch lends
little to the acidity as it breaks down fairly quickly and doesn't affect
more than the upper 1/2". The pH is 4.9-5.0 yet 1/2 lb of lime over 100 sq
ft is enough to bring the pH up to 6.5. So I wouldn't recommend pinestraw to
change the pH. It might help maintain established acidity but not change it.
Best is the long term solution. Or simply to avoid crops that are that
sensitive to pH.
Gary

"Zax" wrote in message
V_coerulea wrote:
Manure like Steve suggests is probably one of the best ways so long as it
is thoroughly decomposed. In any case, you wouldn't use lime to make the
soil more acid. Lime would make it even more basic than you are already.
For quick drops in pH, aluminum sulfate is usually recommended. Powdered
sulfur should drop it over the long run along with the added compost.
Manure itself would help buffer the pH and not really acidify the soil
but maybe help neutralize it on top of the other benefits supplied by the
organic material including moisture retention.
I hope the kids get a good crop.
Gary

I agree with all the comments and advice you give, except the use of
aluminium sulfate to lower pH. Aluminium salts have been linked with
health problems, in particular, increasing the development of Alzheimers
disease. My suggestion for lowering pH (beyond the excellent ones of
compost and powdered sulfur) is to add citric acid, which you might be
able to get in pharmacies or even ethnic food shops, or pine needles are
very acidic if I recall correctly. In terms of ease of finding and cost,
sulfur might be the best, but it is apparently easy to add too much and
end with very acidic soil.