Old 04-02-2006, 07:41 AM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross

Default Building Container Soil

Mark Anderson wrote [in part]:
I'm also on the North side of Chicago. Where do you get this coarse
sand everyone mentions? Last summer I used sandbox sand which I now
find out was not the right ingredient.

I use washed plaster sand. This is a coarse sand you should be able to
get at any building materials yard (not Home Depot or a lumber yard, but
a place where you would buy rebar, bricks, concrete blocks, gravel, etc).

You don't wash it yourself. "Washed" means that the sand was processed
(often near the quarry) to remove silt, mud, and debris. This is a
clean sand, suitable for making a good quality of stucco.

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

Concerned about someone (e.g., Pres. Bush) snooping
into your E-mail? Use PGP.
See my http://www.rossde.com/PGP/