Old 05-02-2006, 04:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
sherwindu

Default Grafting a Texas Grapefruit onto a Blood Orange

Never grafted a citrus tree, but I imagine it is similar to apples,
etc. With a little
practice, you should be able to do the graft yourself. There are plenty
of web sites
that describe how to do it. You can do a bud graft or something like a
cleft graft.
If you know someone with a Texas Grapefruit tree, just ask them for a
piece of
their branch (usually the end piece or new growth from the previous
year). You
can cut buds from that or just graft whole twigs onto your tree. In the
later case,
you want to pick twigs that have approximately the same diameter as what
you are
grafting to on your tree. For materials, all you need is a sharp knife,
rubber strips,
and something like teflon tape. Once you learn how, you can repeat this
with any
number of grafts in case the first grafts don't take. I assume that
Grapefruits and
Oranges are in the same genetic family, or this won't work. For
example, apples
won't graft onto pear trees, etc.

Sherwin D.

Daniel Prince wrote:

I have a Blood Orange tree that has gotten fairly big. It is about
eight by eight feet wide with a 2.5 inch diameter trunk. I live
about 20 miles South of downtown Los Angeles CA.

Would it be practical to have someone come out and graft a Texas
Grapefruit bud onto it so that I could eventually get both Texas
Grapefruits and Blood Oranges from the same tree? If so, about how
much would it cost and how would I go about finding someone to do
it? Thank you in advance for all replies.
--
I just heard a TV commercial about an automobile that has a rear
entertainment system. I immediately wondered exactly how would an