Old 05-02-2006, 05:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nicole H

Default growing potatoes

DUH! Thank you for the correction.
a truly blond moment.
Nicole
"V_coerulea" wrote in message
. ..
Manure like Steve suggests is probably one of the best ways so long as it
is thoroughly decomposed. In any case, you wouldn't use lime to make the
soil more acid. Lime would make it even more basic than you are already.
For quick drops in pH, aluminum sulfate is usually recommended. Powdered
sulfur should drop it over the long run along with the added compost.
Manure itself would help buffer the pH and not really acidify the soil but
maybe help neutralize it on top of the other benefits supplied by the
organic material including moisture retention.
I hope the kids get a good crop.
Gary

"Nicole H" wrote in message
I'm in the San Joaquin valley. Our soil tends to be alkaline. Well, at
the elementary school, we have a Life Lab (hands on science w/garden
plots). I have a few teachers who want to grow potatoes.
My gardening book says that pototoes need acidic soil but not to use
lime. How else do I get the soil to move to the acidic side? We're about
7.5 to 8.0.

Thanks
Nicole

--
Someone you know has lupus. 3 of every 10 Americans Know Someone With
Lupus