Old 05-02-2006, 05:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
newgardener

Default N. Cal: Windsor Favas (for food, not cover crop)

I've never grown fava beans before. Actually, I've never eaten fava
beans before, but I'm told they're like lima beans, which I like. But
it will be too cold for limas for a few months yeat

So, I just planted 6 fava beans today which I soaked a few days ago and
which sprouted short roots while waiting for me to get the ground
prepared. Soaking more tonight before planting them tomorrow.

The ground--clay soil. I added about 1/2 inch of sand and 2 inches of
organic soil mix, plus some osmocote, plus some garden gypsum.

My soil has very low nitrogen. Favas are beans. I didn't buy any of
that bean-powder bacteria culture. Will they still be okay? Will
there be enough nitrogen fixing microbes to make the little root nodes
that allow beans to self-fertilize and improve the soil?

How many plants does one person need for a decent crop of beans?