Old 27-02-2003, 02:26 PM
Surya

Default Acanthus 'problem' - no longer flowers

Thanks for those helpful ideas. The container is quite large so I'll
try feeding for a season before any movement - the leaves are fresh and
a foot long now anyway.

In article , DaveDay34
wrote:

"Surya" wrote in a message news:
The Bears Breeches (Acanthus) used to flower in the balcony pot well
for a couple of years but has not done for 3 years now. The leaves
begin early and seem fine but by about July the plant looks worn out.
It shares a pot with a Clematis that does thrive and face SE on a 2nd
floor London balcony. Do I feed it more? When and how? Ideas?
Experiences?

I'd suggest a good foliar feed to give it a kick start. Moving it to another
container may also be required as it may be losing the battle with the
Clematis. If you don't want to move either plant, the feeding solution may be
the best. A foliar feed as directed on the packet for the short-term with
some
slow release fertiliser for the long-term if you want to cut down on regular
feeds.

Dave.