Old 05-02-2006, 07:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default pruning copper beech Update

On 5/2/06 0:00, in article
, "MikeW"
wrote:

Sacha, : wrote:
On 4/2/06 17:14, in article
, "MikeW"
wrote:

penance, : wrote:

Not so, it is reasonable as long as the work carried out does not pose
a threat to the tree, this is assuming the tree is healthy and not a
threat to property or people.
There has been a precedence set in court for this (in the UK). I have
the reference in my college notes somewhere.

Thanks for all your replies
Had the councils arboriculturist (sp?) look at the tree,
For future reference apparently 30% is the most you can prune from a
largish Copper Beech with any hope of it surviving.

Just as a matter of interest, Mike, would you mind letting us know if your
neighbour accepts that

Sort of, we are going to do it in stages
The tree has a fork, the side that is nearest the neighbour I am going to
have pruned by 50%
And only thin the other fork, When the tree has recovered I will the then
reduce this by 50%

and if their request was prompted by their insurancecompany?

No, it was purely a request regarding light

I wonder where this leaves you and your tree?

The tree lives to fight another day, and I will spend many a happy hour
collecting its Leaves :-)
And it will hopefully see us all out.
(How long do Copper Beech live)

I have no idea how long they live but over 100 years, I should guess. I'm
really glad to hear yours is going to get its chance to do that. I think
they're one of the most beautiful of trees and we have an old one here on
the big lawn that is just starting to get a little dieback at the very top.
We are guessing that it was planted when the house was built in 1851.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk