Old 05-02-2006, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Propagating Echium Pinninana from seed

On 5/2/06 10:11, in article , "Janet
Baraclough" wrote:

The message
from Dave Poole contains these words:

Sacha wrote:

I found mine seeded themselves around in Jersey but we have little
luck with
them here, even in our comparatively mild climate.

They seed themselves about freely here as do the more deeply coloured
E. wildpretii.

E.pininana seed like weeds in a few sheltered spots here on Arran. In
Brodick castle, it seeds freely into sunny starved gravel paths, but
also (around the compost heaps) into wet rich deeply shaded loam under
trees.

I transplanted some to my garden where they grew like stink in year
one and died like doornails in their first winter, probably my bad
choice of location. Next time I see a big batch of seedlings I'll try
them in other places. Although the flowers aren't bright I like the
exotic shape they make, giant stems rearing up like giraffe necks.

OTOH, some other echium (seed brought ftom Madeira in nameless
envelope) has already survived two winters planted out in my garden
(drier and sunnier spot), and look as if they might flower this year.
It's definitely not pininana though.

Try a Google image search on E. wildpretii that David mentions and also E.
fastuosum. The latter is a lovely plant, holding its flowers rather like a
candelabra. Here's one called Pride of Madeira!
http://tinyurl.com/acug3
And there's a good pic of E. wildpretii on this site:
http://www.justplants.co.uk/Main%20Page7.htm
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk