Old 05-02-2006, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian

Default Growing apples from cuttings?

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
I've got round to asking a chap down the road if I can have some
cuttings from his cooker (not gas or eclectic...) and I take them
tomorrow. It's a very old tree, and the apples are *VAST* - around the
size of a Charles Ross, but the wrong shape for that apple.

Also, am taking cuttings from a rootstock tree - so:

Anyone tried this? (I haven't a tree I can graft or bud onto)

Do they take better from old wood, or last year's growth?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cuttings are not recommended. If they strike then they will have
lost the growth habits of the parent tree and will probably grow on for
years without fruiting.
Cuttings from rootstocks take more readily and can be grafted, budded
or chipped a year later. Bought rootstocks could be budded this summer.
Last year's growth will root most readily.
Having said the above there is a West Country costard that roots
readily from any wood and actually produces aerial roots on lower branches
and fruits the next year from large cuttings.
I don't find Charles Ross a 'Vast' apple~~ some can be twice the size
but non-commercial.
Best Wishes Brian.