Old 05-02-2006, 06:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Gene Schurg

Default Shade Cloth Questions

I don't think we've discussed this one....

I use shade cloth on my greenhouse. It is rated at 70% and rolls nicely up
and down but once it's up for the season I generally don't mess with it
until it's time to take it down. In the DC area I leave it up from about
mid-March through late October. I try to take it off gradually so not to
burn the plants (which I didn't do well last fall and a couple of plant got
scorch marks...but that's another story).

I'm thinking about replacing the fabric this year to drop the blocked light
to 50%. Additionally, I use black shade cloth now and see it's available in
green.

What % are other people using? Does the color make a difference to the
plants?

Good Growing,
Gene