Old 05-02-2006, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Default How old is this tree

In message , Rupert
writes
I have a big beech tree which will require one very large branch to be
removed from the upper part of the tree. Can I glean any information from
the removed branch as to an approximate age of this tree.
As an alternative is there anywhere that gives approximate growth ring rates
for beech . I know this method would not give a particularly accurate answer
but it would be better than all the wild guesses made by the local
neighbours.
The circumference of the tree is 16 feet (taken at 4.5feet from the ground).
Any scientific methods or even guesses please?

You can count rings on the branch, which will give you a minimum age for
the tree.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley