Old 05-02-2006, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

Default How old is this tree

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Rupert" contains these words:

I have a big beech tree which will require one very large branch to be
removed from the upper part of the tree. Can I glean any information from
the removed branch as to an approximate age of this tree.

No. Only the age of the branch.

That being said, you can safely assume that the tree is older than the
branch...

As an alternative is there anywhere that gives approximate growth ring
rates
for beech . I know this method would not give a particularly accurate
answer
but it would be better than all the wild guesses made by the local
neighbours.

It depends on so many things, location and altitude, drainage, aspect,
fertility of the soil, genetic make-up of the tree.

So, not really.

The circumference of the tree is 16 feet (taken at 4.5feet from the
ground).
Any scientific methods or even guesses please?

Get some slim glass nails over 2½ feet long and hammer them into the
tree with a rubber mallet.

Shine a torch into the shaft of the nail and count the rings?

How much bigger than 2.5 feet ? Every inch counts. Wouldn't it be better to
get a 5 foot glass nail and go right through the tree :-)

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig