Old 05-02-2006, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian

Default How old is this tree

"Rupert" wrote in message
I have a big beech tree which will require one very large branch to be
removed from the upper part of the tree. Can I glean any information from
the removed branch as to an approximate age of this tree.
As an alternative is there anywhere that gives approximate growth ring

rates
for beech . I know this method would not give a particularly accurate

answer
but it would be better than all the wild guesses made by the local
neighbours.
The circumference of the tree is 16 feet (taken at 4.5feet from the

ground).
Any scientific methods or even guesses please?

The branch will have been growing in the same conditions as the bole
and the average number of rings per inch, from the branch, mutiplied by 30
[the radius of the tree in inches] will give a reasoned age.
Best Wishes Brian.