Old 12-02-2003, 06:55 PM
paghat

Default How do I root a sweet potato

In article , "David
Hare-Scott" wrote:

"paghat" wrote in message
news
To root for a sweet potato, you hold it upward in your hand & cry out

in
its presence: "Hip hip HOORAY. Hip hip HOORAY."

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

Colloquial phrases are difficult in an international forum. Around here
the verb "to root" has a different meaning, it's hard to put it
delicately but ...hmmm... well if it applied to sweet potatos you might
think your hamster was also at risk.

David

I suppose this qualifies as a gardening topic.
When I was a counsellor at the Counselling Service, I had to keep a
straight face & not seem shocked by a chap who wanted to be reassured he
wasn't too weird to live because he had a vegetable fetish. I tried to
keep reminding myself "I know lots of women who've done it with veggies,
why should it seem weirder if a guy does it? Anyway, who does it hurt?"
then reassure him he was not too weird to live. He had all sorts of ways
of gettiing it on with all sorts of veggies, but the only one I remember
two decades later is how he'd worked out the "oven" times to get a pumpkin
or squash to the temperature he preferred, then would carve a hole in the
warm pumpkin just his size. I mentioned to some friends at a gathering
(when the subject of fetishes came up) that I'd once counselled a
vegetable fetishist, & someone at the gathering piped in that as a
projectionist he once had a horrible job working in a porno theater.
Horrible less because of the films than from having to clean up messes in
the theater, which was sometimes a gross-out depending on what the
customers had been doing. He said the weirdest thing he ever had to pick
up & throw away was some guy's hollowed-out pickle.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"