Old 27-02-2003, 10:29 AM
Rhiannon Macfie Miller

Default Germination medium to prevent damping off

It was a dark and stormy night, and as the people of uk.rec.gardening
huddled around the fire, Annabel told them this story:

I have found that a lot of the fungal problems associated with seed
actually comes from the seed coat itself and in trials cheshunt compound
didn't give the results needed. I now sterilise the seed before sowing.
This needs to be experimented with,10% "Milton's" for 10 mins was
recommended to me..I only do this with choice and problem seed and don't
need quantities of seedlings.. Its easy to see what's happening when
sowing onto damp towelling which I often do.

When I was working with Arabidopsis seeds in the lab, I used the
following sterilisation procedu

70% ethanol for two minutes
Wash very thoroughly with water
10% Chloros bleach for one minute
Wash very very thoroughly with water
Dry out
Sow on sterile agar in a sterile hood (this might be a little difficult
for those of you without a lab)

I found that there was a very high loss using this procedure -- and woe
betide you if you exceed the stated times! I also found that
sterilisation was unnecessary when I grew on compost, though vital on
agar. I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a strong suspicion that
the seeds are contaminated with fungus.

Rhiannon