Old 05-02-2006, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

Default Look for a plant that will grow quick

"Martin Brown" wrote
Me wrote:
For a science experiment I am doing with a child, I am looking for a seed
that once planted will sprout and grow quickly such that height
measurements can be taken. The time frame that I am looking at is 7-9
days. Does anybody know of a suitable seed that we can use? You help is
much appreciated.

Common edible pea in a jam jar with a cylinder of blotting paper and water
in the bottom. Used to be a classic junior school science expt.

Two or three for insurance if you only have one jam jar to play with.

You can measue both the root and the green shoot. If you look after it
properly you may even get flowers and some fresh green peas.

Sunflowers are also pretty good on the Jack & beanstalk stakes.

We always used Runner Beans at my school. Soak them overnight first.

--
Regards
Bob