Old 06-02-2006, 03:47 AM posted to austin.gardening
harriswest

Default Tomato Grafting

Jim Marrs wrote:

Thanks for your advise. I have tried the rotation technique and practice it
as much as possible and don't ever compost my old tomato plants. I grow so
much in my limited space, I believe that short of replacing all my soil (I
am actually considering do it) there are so many sources of blight, that
the battle seems hopeless. Developing more resistant plants seems like it
may be the best alternative. It will be a fun experiment even if most of my
grafts fail. I have already purchased the little clips used for the process.
I am going to wait just a little longer for the weather to warm up. I have a
small greenhouse but I don't enjoy the expense of maintaining 70-85 degrees
24-7.

Jim,

Oh. That kind of blight. Not soil borne but fungal. The greenhouse is
a new factor. They will encourage blight particularly during the mild
winter we've been having. The damp is the killer. Even in cool humid
weather a poorly ventilated greenhouse can spread blight. Have you been
growing tomatoes indoors in the summer months, or is this your winter
crop?

Ventilate well; use a fungicide - copper sulfate works well and is
arguably organic, according to the USDA at least. Wipe the interior
walls of your greenhouse with a weak bleach solution, 1/4 c per gallon,
so that condensation doesn't drip spores onto your plants. Sanitize
tools in a similar solution. If nothing else, remove all blighted
growth, ventilate well and hope for the best - tomatoes can simply
outgrow a lot of diseases.G

Let us know how the grafting turns out. It *was* a lot of fun,
definitely a bit of the old Doktor Frankenstein.

Mike Harris
Austin, TX