Old 06-02-2006, 08:36 AM
Dinarius Dinarius is offline
Registered User

Default Lime Tree: Shoots around base of tree.

We are based in Dublin, Ireland.

We have a pair of mature lime trees at the end of our garden.

Both trees have a vigorous growth of shoots, about 6-8 feet tall, around the
base.

We want to construct a wooden fence near one of the trees. We have been told
that if we cut back the shoots, in order to erect the fence a bit nearer to
the tree, they will just grow back more vigourously.

We have also been told that if we erect the fence without cutting back the
shoots, but erect it as near as possible to the shoots that;

a. It will be difficult to maintain the fence (self evident, I suppose!)

b. Moisture from the shoots and the tree itself, particularly after rain,
will only serve to keep the fence damp and greatly shorten its life. The
fence faces due North on the tree side, so drying/airing the fence would be
a bit problematical if it is very close to the tree.

The only thing against this is that the guy erecting the fence claims that
the wood is pressure treated and virtually immune to weather damage.

There is no question of adversely affecting the tree in any way, but there
is a bit of an issue with neighbours about the line of the fence. The closer
it is to the tree, the more ground they will have on their (South facing)
side.

If we could persuade our neighbours to run the fence, say, 2 feet from the
shoots, would they grow out to it anyway? Or do they tend to achieve
critical mass and stay they way they are?

Any views?

Thanks.

D.