Old 06-02-2006, 12:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
shazzbat

Default How to convert grass to garden

"Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the
Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote in message
I have a nice patch of grass in my back yard I want to convert to garden.
What are some good ways to get rid of the grass - kill it, turn it under,
etc. ?

Depends how big it is. You could just turn it in, or skim off the top 2" and
get rid, or if there's a huge amount, you could hire a turf stripper which
does the same but a lot quicker and neater. Then you could use the turf for
elsewhere, or you could make a loam stack. Stack your turf green side to
green side and brown side to brown side, cover the pile and this time next
year you'll have some nice compost.

Steve