Old 27-02-2003, 10:41 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Climbing rose

In article ,
wrote:
On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 21:33:53 -0000, "Kevin & Karin"
wrote:

Hi,
Sorry I could have used my last post. I want a climbing rose for a pergola
sides and top but without thorns. What is a good variety? bearing in mind
I'm new to all this.

We are far from experts at roses but about the only one that fitted
the bill that we could find was Zephirine Drouhin (sic), which also
looks and smells nice. We planted two, two years ago, in partial
shade under the awning that surrounds the southwest-facing front of
our house. One died, the other didn't.

Yes. It is an excellent rose, but not disease resistant. If it
fails, I suggest going for a honeysuckle or some other non-thorny
climbing species.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679