Old 06-02-2006, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

Default Propagating Echium Pinninana from seed

"Dave Poole" wrote in message
Rupert wrote:

Your info about pots and Sachas links to those stunning pictures makes me
want to have another go at them. I managed to get one to its second year
but
then it gave up and so did I.

With these tender Echiums, the danger isn't so much the severity of
the frost (within reason), but the length of time that it persists.
Minus 4C by night with nothing rising above 0C by day for several days
does far more damage than a minus 6 or 7C 'hit' followed by a rapid
rise to 6 - 10C by day. If it looks as though you are in for a
continuously frosty spell, it is better to haul the plants under
cover.

A tree pot of what size? I assume the bigger the better but what's the
minimum size you recommend?

60cms deep and the same in diameter or more is about right and yes,
the bigger the better. I've seen very good plants grown in cut-down,
plastic dustbins and you might find those a more economical
proposition. The lowest quarter should be filled with drainage
material and plenty of drainage holes need to be drilled - the more
the merrier.

The chappy who grows them in half dustbins trundles them about on a
sack truck - shifting them into his car port in very cold weather and
out again when it is mild. There's dedication for you! In winter,
the plants are only watered when the leaves are wilting and the
plants aren't fed except when first potted. Then they get a small
amount of slow release pellets (Osmocote) and that's it.

If you are opting for pot growing and can provide some shelter in
winter, I would certainly opt for Echium wildpretii. It is not as
triffid-like as pininana and is far easier to manage. You might also
try Echium webbii as well. It is shrubby in the same way as E.
candicans (fastuosum), but is somewhat more richly coloured and a more
compact grower.

HTH.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November

Thanks Dave. Pulling things around on carts or sliding then on carpets is a
necessity in this part of Yorkshire, particularly if you aspire to doing a
junior and amateurish version of the Henry Cooke thing. Curse the day my
sister bought me that book by Myles Challis:-)