Old 06-02-2006, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

Default best aeration tool for lawn

"weedkiller" wrote in message

I have been aerating my garden all day today with a fork! can anyone
suggest any other aeration tools which don't take as long. Is depth of
hole critical, as the roller type aerator tool looks to only aerate to
approx 2 inches.

--
weedkiller

It's nine years since I had the pleasure/misfortune of owning a lawn but if
you have a small lawn the way you are doing the job is fine and yes it's
monotonous work.
A slightly easier and IMHO better way of doing the job is to use a hollow
tine fork (spring loaded) which takes out plugs of soil . Filling the holes
with sand and or loam will improve your lawn. The exact ingredients vary
depending on your reasons for wanting to do the job.
Enough already it brings back bad vibes :-)

If it's a really big area then you can hire a machine to do the job.