Old 06-02-2006, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Joan Riley

Default Asparagus

On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 18:28:47 GMT, Christopher Norton
wrote:

The message
from Joan Riley contains
these words:

Having recently moved here (South Ayrshire) I have inherited what I
think is an asparagus plant in a deep bed in the greenhouse. I have
never grown this before and don't even know what they are supposed to
look like. When we arrived in the autumn it had bamboo like shoots
topped with fine ferny growth. I cut it down to about 5 inches and
now it is sprouting little ferns on the shoots. Is this real
asparagus? Is asparagus fern something different? Should I be doing
anything to it? Any help would be appreciated.

Joan in Ayrshire
remove 'spam' from email to reply

Sounds like it could be Asparagus, but why you would grow 1 plant in a
greenhouse is beyond me. I`d cut the whole shoot down to below ground
level and see what comes back. If it looks like Asparagus from the shop
then thats what you have.

Thanks for the advice. Not only is there asparagus, but an apple
tree!! and some rhubarb which I only found when I moved a piece of pot
drainpipe a few weeks ago. All that was left was a few wet, mouldy
brown bits and the only way I knew it was rhubarb was because there
was a label stuck in the ground by it. Anyway, I moved the cover and
there is now a little pink bud showing, so this autumn I'll find
somewhere outside for it. If I had somewhere ready for the apple tree
that would be outside by now as well.