Old 06-02-2006, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Default Vegetables suited to part shade?

Paul wrote:

We have taken on an allotment recently, January 2005, and last summer we
didn't get round to using the back part. This year we want to bring it
into use and, as it gets full sun only in the morning and late
afternoon, were wondering which vegetables would be best suited to these
conditions. We are in North London, so the soil has a lot of clay, but
the plot is reasonably well drained.

What about vegetables suitable for intercroping, which don't require
much sun like raddishes, spinash and chicory. There's also the woodland
bushes, like blackberries which do well in the shade. I also have 2
rubbarbs and one is in partial shade and does as well as the other one
(and are suitable to moist soil). I have lots of herbs in partial shade
too (too many pots) and mint and lemon balm are even growing under a
bench ...! As long as they stay moist they're happy, and since your
part of the plot is not entirely in the shade I think you've got a lot
of choices. HTH