Old 07-02-2006, 01:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cliff_the_gardener

Default Growing apples from cuttings?

Can't say I am a fan of family trees, why, because they are a
compromise of growth habits with regards to the sion.
IMHO, far better to graft onto M106 / M111 rootstock and grow as
cordons, either angled, doubles or as veticals.
If you have a spare rootstock, a good way of propogating is to mound
layer, that is cover the rootstock with compost in a mound, and where
the shoots are new woody shoots will develop which inturn can be used
as propogating material. Have seen this done on an intesive scale.
As you are further south than me rusty, I guess you apricots may fair
ok. Here they are a semi greehouse plant.

What ever - a fruit hedge has to be admired. An excellent choice.
Regards
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorks. on the scounge for graft wood, hoping
to graft yet more apple trees.