Old 07-02-2006, 06:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
sherwindu

Default Grafting a Texas Grapefruit onto a Blood Orange

There may be an issue of genetics here as the seeds may not produce true to the
original tree that produced the seeds. This is certainly true with apples, but less
of
a factor in stone fruits. I would check on this before investing a lot of time and
effort.
He should check around and try and find an orchard growing the Texas grapefruit and
ask them for a few pieces of scion wood. There may even be a source where he can
order the scion.
Sherwin D.

zxcvbob wrote:

sherwindu wrote:

tuckermo wrote:

Citrus is propagated by budding in the spring/summer (different from apples,
which are grafted earlier in the year).

Are you inferring apple bud grafting is done in Winter? I do my bud grafting
on apple
trees in late summer (usually August), here in the Midwest. It may be
different in the
warmer climates, but I imagine not that much. Also, I checked the web and
found some
references to things like cleft grafting, etc. for citrus. Although bud
grafting is the more
common technique for citrus, regular grafting can be done, as well. Check
out:

http://homeorchard.ucdavis.edu/8001.pdf

http://home.att.net/~oc_crfg/citrus_prop_Mits.htm

(just for starters)

Sherwin D.

I think OP is gonna have trouble finding a source of graft stock. I
wonder how it would work to grow a couple of grapefruit seeds and graft
tops from the seedlings onto his orange tree?

Bob