Old 07-02-2006, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

Default Distance Learning/Correspondence Courses

The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:

Warning OT :~)
I (almost) had an argument with one of our prospective new neighbours
(Dordogne)
about learning French. She was of the' "one needs to know the grammar before
even stating out" whereas I am of the "parrot school of learning" :~

I'd agree with her. In the case of French, a very early basic dose
of the declension of common irregular verbs makes the most basic daily
understanding, reading and speaking so much easier. It enables the
listener to recognise he's just hearing or seeing variations of the
same frequently used verb (ai, as, avons, avez , ont, all mean "have";
they also form part of the past tense of regular verbs ). They'll be
listed in the early pages of a basic grammar book. Even just recognising
(by ear and in print) the forms of etre and avoir gives a massive
advantage.

If one has that basic grasp of the commonest verb variations, it's then
quicker and easier to pick up French by "total immersion" which as you
say is the best way to learn a language. Can you get French TV at home?

Janet.