Old 07-02-2006, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
H Ryder

Default hardy tulips

I am looking for some hardy tulip bulbs. Can anyone recommend some
from personal experience?

until recently I never realised that tulips were supposed to be un-hardy. In
my last garden (heavy, sodden clay in Cheshire) I just planted a load of
cheap "garden tulips" from B&Q (tall things in red and yellow). I never
bothered about getting them too deep (was heavily pregnant when I planted
them so struggled to bend) but did put a bit of sharp sand at the bottom of
each hole. Five years on I'd say that half of them were still coming up and
flowering each year.

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)