Old 07-02-2006, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

Default Growing apples from cuttings?

The message .com
from "cliff_the_gardener" contains
these words:

Can't say I am a fan of family trees, why, because they are a
compromise of growth habits with regards to the sion.
IMHO, far better to graft onto M106 / M111 rootstock and grow as
cordons, either angled, doubles or as veticals.

Very long, narrow garden isn't suited to it, unless I completely re-work
it, hence the hedge.

If you have a spare rootstock, a good way of propogating is to mound
layer, that is cover the rootstock with compost in a mound, and where
the shoots are new woody shoots will develop which inturn can be used
as propogating material.

I have acess to cuttings from a rootstock tree. The grafted top blew
down in a gale and the apples which came on the regrowth were entirely
different from what were on the bit which came off. They are in
themselves, pretty respectable cookers.

Bramley cuttings ought to make good rootstock, too.

Have seen this done on an intesive scale.
As you are further south than me rusty, I guess you apricots may fair
ok. Here they are a semi greehouse plant.

Apricots do quite well, but the ones I have in mind are Hunzas, which
come from colder climes. They (traditionally) are left on the bush to
dry.

What ever - a fruit hedge has to be admired. An excellent choice.

Perhaps I'd better display my armoury prominently to discourage scrumpers...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig