Old 07-02-2006, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
madgardener

Default A wonderful day just tooling around.................................

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from Broadback contains these words:

madgardener wrote:
I had a wonderful day just tooling around
today....................We got an

Snip
Who says that Americans speak (or even write) English?

M has a wonderful way with language and to me the Americanisms are an
intrinsic part of the charm of her writing. They are part of the stage
set she paints, an enhancement.

like I've always said, I paint what I see, to borrow a phrase from Gahan
Wilson the macabre artist..........eg

She writes so vividly that over years of reading her, I've acquired
a detailed mind's eye picture of herself, her clothes, hats, hair,
house, pets, husband, vehicles, garden, driveway, neighbours,
neighbourhood, route to work, workplace, complete with sound effects,
seasons etc. It's like an expanding vision. I can sit at the window of
her nook with her cat on my lap and smell M's cooking. Soon the peepers
will be tuning up, then the dogwoods will open. Each new episode
combines recognition with something new fresh and memorable. I can't
tell you how much pleasure it gives me.

you honor me, lady. Sometime I should give you a call and we'll chat for a
few minutes. (I've had the pleasure of speaking to Helen who resides up in
Canada, and she has a most remarkable Canadian accent........quite the
character, too........love her dearly. (she makes the best chow chow that
she sent home to me by Squire who was up in Ottawa a couple years back)

You get exactly what I am doing.............I didn't take offence at his
implying that I can't speak or write English. My English friend, Jim
Stretch used to gently poke fun at me, but then......I've always pointed out
that at least I am literate and can spell, just not nearly as "edumacated"
as I'd like to be sometimes and get my hair caught in specifics and
sometimes get my facts wrong. But I'm good natured and mature enough to
admit when I booger it up and am the first to cut my own throat and admit
defeat. I'm very hard on myself, but over the years, after being sizzled by
internet strangers, I still feel the sting of criticisms. I just don't let
them sting me as badly, is all.

Great radio used to be like this. In my minds ear, I can hear her
reading her post to me in American. It's a soft humourous feminine voice
with a rich southern drawl.

Janet

my rich Southern drawl isn't nearly as rich as you'd think. I've been
accused of being a chameleon in vocal abilities. (Jim used to accuse me of
turning a fine brogue when I teased him and called when he was on the air
(he was a friend and used to be a d.j. at the radio station I listen to
frequently). But, yes, I do have a Tennessee accent. I've been accused more
of having a "where yew frum???" accent....................goes with years of
living with a Yankee Michigander LOL

thanks Janet, you're a true friend! I was afraid I ticked someone off
there with my mindless rambling of yesterday's trivial events. I'm just
starting to feel more myself lately than the past few months. I hope I can
do you proud.

maddie