Old 07-02-2006, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default A wonderful day just toolingaround.................................

On 7/2/06 11:04, in article , "Janet
Baraclough" wrote:

The message
from Broadback contains these words:

madgardener wrote:
I had a wonderful day just tooling around
today....................We got an

Snip
Who says that Americans speak (or even write) English?

M has a wonderful way with language and to me the Americanisms are an
intrinsic part of the charm of her writing. They are part of the stage
set she paints, an enhancement.

She writes so vividly that over years of reading her, I've acquired
a detailed mind's eye picture of herself, her clothes, hats, hair,
house, pets, husband, vehicles, garden, driveway, neighbours,
neighbourhood, route to work, workplace, complete with sound effects,
seasons etc. It's like an expanding vision. I can sit at the window of
her nook with her cat on my lap and smell M's cooking. Soon the peepers
will be tuning up, then the dogwoods will open. Each new episode
combines recognition with something new fresh and memorable. I can't
tell you how much pleasure it gives me.

Great radio used to be like this. In my minds ear, I can hear her
reading her post to me in American. It's a soft humourous feminine voice
with a rich southern drawl.

I love Maddie's posts - as the saying goes "you could lay them on an open
wound"!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk