Old 07-02-2006, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default hardy tulips

On 7/2/06 11:17, in article , "Janet
Baraclough" wrote:
snip

It's not that they are un-hardy, but the hybrid varieties tend to
gradually fade away over years as you've noticed ( its just a matter of
how long it takes). AIUI they do it because the original bulb naturally
reproduces by forming small bulblets after flowering, most of which
don't get enough baking (in the UK) to ever reach flowering size. If
you dig them up after the leaves fade and let them get baked by sun
then replant, they do better, but most people don't bother.

The species are better at reproducing flowering-size bulbs without being
lifted, and also at self seeding .

We planted several hybrids two years ago which looked fantastic for a season
and then, last year, flowered much more patchily. I've decided that next
year, we're either going to have them around the place in bowls each year or
plunge bowls into various spots in the garden. I really do love tulips and
their wonderful range of colour but don't enjoy them half as much when you
get the odd one or two popping up where once there were a dozen or more!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk