Old 28-02-2003, 11:10 AM
Jane Lumley

Default Climbing rose

In article , Kevin &
Karin writes
Hi,
Sorry I could have used my last post. I want a climbing rose for a pergola
sides and top but without thorns. What is a good variety? bearing in mind
I'm new to all this.
cheers
Kevin

You don't say what colour you want, but....

Zephirine Drouhin is wonderful, dark pink, scented and completley
Bourbonish, though you do need to spray fopr mildew and keep her well
watered and fed. She has a daughter called Kathleen Harrop who is paler
pink, slighlty less free-flowering but with the same good qualities.
Another thornless climber, absolutely trouble-free in my garden, is
Amadis, which has rich purplish flowers and also has lovely reddish
stems that look nice on a fence or pergola - you can get it from Peter
Beales. Golden Showers only has a few thorns, and is great on a north
wall.
--
Jane Lumley