Old 07-02-2006, 04:10 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

Default Global warming?

"Wolf Kirchmeir" wrote in message
.. .
Robert Grumbine wrote:
In article ,
Doug Kanter wrote:

[..]
I understand not using some MS stuff, but considering how cheap hard
disk space is these days, why do you waste time removing things? Just
don't use them.

Because MS stuff still on the disk can be invoked by other MS stuff on
the disk, the OS included, whether you planned it to or not. Quite a few
attacks on Windows computers rely on this trait. If you don't want a
given MS program to be executed, you have to delete it.

Thanks, good point, I'd forgotten that (prob. because I haven't had a
serious infection in over a year. :-))

Of course, the right firewall will send up a "WTF? Something's trying to
happen!" message, and keep the "something" from happening until you can
check it out.