Old 07-02-2006, 04:02 PM posted to rec.gardens
Wolf Kirchmeir

Default Global warming?

Travis M. wrote:
"Wolf Kirchmeir" wrote in message

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Wolf Kirchmeir" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:
"Lady Blacksword" wrote in

message
"Travis M." wrote in

message
[...]
Outlook does not do newsgroups.

--

Oh Really? Then what I'm reading is a figment of my
imagination????!! Or is it you, Travis, who is a figment?

I don't use any MS program if I can help it, have never, ever
used Outlook or Outlook Express, and never will, in fact have
removed as much of Outlook/Outlook Express as I could, have
removed all other MS programs except Internet Explorer, since
Microdaft insists on ActiveX for updating, so I can't use
Mozilla, so I didn't know that "Outlook" isn't just a short
form of "Outlook Express", which is what I thunk, but refer to
different programs, etc etc etc. So kwitcherfitin, already!

I understand not using some MS stuff, but considering how cheap
hard disk space is these days, why do you waste time removing
things? Just don't use them.

Older machine, smaller HD, two OSs. Made the mistake of installing
W2K on a 2GB partition, which was touted as "minimum required." Shoulda
known better. Need W2K mostly for an estimating program my wife
uses, and use it for web access because Bell Sympatico doesn't play well
with OS/2. Bah!

Why does it matter to the ISP what OS you are running, just as long as
it can do TCP/IP?

For Windows platforms, Ethernet card drivers, tcpip/ip etc are
auto-configured when first installed, and when you configure the router.
For OS/2, it has to be done manually, including installing the driver
for the Ethernet card that connects to the router (which I connects to
the DSL modem for access to the 'net.) Can be done, of course, but it's
a hassle, not least because OS/2 doesn't have many Ethernet card
drivers. Bell's Access Manager is used for connecting directly through
the DSL modem. There is no OS/2 version. That's the downside of using an
obsolescent OS - even one that's still ahead of Windows in design,
function and usability, and at least equal to Linux in stability and
security (and way ahead in usability.)

HTH