Old 07-02-2006, 04:27 PM posted to rec.gardens
Natty Dread

Default Question about growing clematis

I've seen photos of huge clematis plants growing in rope-like vines along
fences, porch railings, etc. I'd like to train a clematis to grow on the
fence along one side of my yard that's in desperate need of some plant life.
I think it might be a good spot for a clematis because the area gets full
sun all day, but if I plant it on the northern side of the fence the roots
will stay cool (heads in the sun, roots in the shade, as they say). My
question is about the hardiness of clematis in my area. I'm in Richmond,
VA, which is USDA Zone 7 -- do clematis die back to the ground here, or
would I actually be able to grow a clematis vine to a length of 20 or 30
feet in my area? If so, what type of clematis would be best? (I saw the
thread on evergreen clematis and read Paghat's Web site on that, but she
said the evergreens are best grown in zones 8 or 9.)

Any advice welcome. Thanks!

Rhonda
Richmond, VA
USDA Zone 7

********
Basic human psychology is one of my subroutines.