Old 07-02-2006, 04:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

Default Global warming?

"Wolf Kirchmeir" wrote in message
.. .
Doug Kanter wrote:
"Wolf Kirchmeir" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:
"Lady Blacksword" wrote in message
"Travis M." wrote in message
[...]
Outlook does not do newsgroups.

--

Oh Really? Then what I'm reading is a figment of my
imagination????!! Or is it you, Travis, who is a figment?

I don't use any MS program if I can help it, have never, ever used
Outlook or Outlook Express, and never will, in fact have removed as
much of Outlook/Outlook Express as I could, have removed all other MS
programs except Internet Explorer, since Microdaft insists on ActiveX
for updating, so I can't use Mozilla, so I didn't know that "Outlook"
isn't just a short form of "Outlook Express", which is what I thunk,
but refer to different programs, etc etc etc.

So kwitcherfitin, already!
I understand not using some MS stuff, but considering how cheap hard
disk space is these days, why do you waste time removing things? Just
don't use them.
Older machine, smaller HD, two OSs. Made the mistake of installing W2K
on a 2GB partition, which was touted as "minimum required." Shoulda
known better. Need W2K mostly for an estimating program my wife uses,
and use it for web access because Bell Sympatico doesn't play well with
OS/2. Bah! The "good" desktop runs on OS/2, and I've experimented with
Linux on it.

Currently debating whether to go to another notebook (for my wife -- I
have a Mac G4), or another desktop. I like desktops - I can tinker with
them easily. And there are some really good buys out there, of "old"
mobos that were cutting edge a mere 18 months ago.... H'm. OTOH, a
laptop would suit my wife just fine, she could take it to the office,
etc.

Difficult....

How old is "old"? It's amazing what more RAM can do for a computer. In
fact, it's the best way to spend upgrade money, followed by a larger hard
disk, and then a better video card (which is counterintuitive, but it
really does help, because of all the graphics on the web).

In its 5th year. And yes, I've considered doubling the RAM to 512MB, the
max for this mobo, and installing a new video card and adding a larger HD.
But when TigerDirect offers a bare-bones bundle (tower w/ 350W PS,
year-old mobo with an Athlon 2MHz CPU, 512MB RAM, AGP video and 7.1
capable sound on board) for under $400Can, spending $100 to $200 for 3
pieces of hardware looks a little unwise.

Hence my difficulty. Do I assemble a new PC for about $500 total of new
parts, or buy a middling quality laptop for about $1000 (keeping in mind
that todays' middling quality was cutting edge a year ro so ago.)

HTH

It's hard to say, really. It seems like every 6 months or so, the web takes
on new functionality which requires more resources. Listen to online radio
on a machine that's struggling to keep up, and you get jittery music. The
best approach over the years has always been to buy the best you can afford,
because it'll be outdated sooner if you don't. Or, beef up what you've
already got, if it'll satisfy the need. I did this last year with a pentium
3 (more memory, better video), and it helped quite a bit with basic office
work (huge spreadsheets, faxing from the computer) and web radio, which I
often do simultaneously. But, it's still not enough for a new pastime,
recording live music. So....onward. Roof on the house, or new computer?
Hmmm...