Old 07-02-2006, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Anthony Anson

Default Growing apples from cuttings?

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:
The message
from Rusty Hinge 2 contains these words:

I have acess to cuttings from a rootstock tree. The grafted top blew
down in a gale and the apples which came on the regrowth were entirely
different from what were on the bit which came off. They are in
themselves, pretty respectable cookers.

There are different rootstocks for different purposes. For a hedge I
would think you'd need a dwarfing rootstock.

I considered that, but dwarfed trees won't thicken up to make a proper
hedge, and take an age to get anywhere at all. Besides, buying the
rootstocks for a hedge would be prohibitively expensive. The
immediate(ish) possibilities are for a hedge of a bit over 40 feet in
length. The individual (proper) trees will be restrained by regular
pruning and possibly, clipping.

I'd considered this sort of arrangement:

|'/ \'| |'/ \'| \''/ \'|
|| Garage || ||- trees - || || ||
||# entry #||########||############||############||######### #########||###

And the prunings, cut to six inches and stored, make excellent fragrant
kindling for the winter fire.

I'm now thinking of putting a rail in the chimney to smoke things on -
the first eight or ten feet of it are a great funnel, about 3' 6" at the
bottom. A sheet steel heat-exchanger to extract the heat of the smoke
and convect it into the room should cool it sufficiently to cold-smoke
things up the lum. I'd get a small fire burning in the Godin stove and
heap apple or oak chips on it and let it smoulder.

Now - do I go the whole hog (and make bacon?) and put a door in the lum
just under the ceiling?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig