Old 07-02-2006, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

Default hardy tulips

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

We planted several hybrids two years ago which looked fantastic for a season
and then, last year, flowered much more patchily. I've decided that next
year, we're either going to have them around the place in bowls each year or
plunge bowls into various spots in the garden. I really do love tulips and
their wonderful range of colour but don't enjoy them half as much when you
get the odd one or two popping up where once there were a dozen or more!

When I used to be buying daffodils in bulk ( an economy, since they
just keep increasing) I used to add a hundred or two tulips to the order
and plant them out in rows in the veg garden. One mad splurge of colour
and lots to cut for the house. Of all bulbs I think they are my
favourite as cut flowers. Some of the really huge fringed ones are
better cut in bud and brought indoors so that wind and rain don't damage
them.

Janet