Old 07-02-2006, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

Default Distance Learning/Correspondence Courses

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Rupert" contains these words:

if she really says "one" as the subject then forget
the wine:-)

Course she does, "on" doesn't carry the same stilted connotation in
French that "one" does in English. It's a also a delicate French social
courtesy to frame a little correction, or assertion, in the third
person, less confrontational than using the first or second.

snip

Mea Culpa. I just assumed that the neighbour was English and doing a
"Oh darling one must get to grips with basics" act.
I have been watching too many of those tele programmes with people
emigrating, living in communes and running burger bars .