Old 28-02-2003, 10:50 AM
Eur Ing John Rye

Default Forsythia not flowering?

Hello Rhiannon

In article ,
Rhiannon Macfie Miller wrote:
I have a forsythia. Last year it flowered very nicely. I cut it back
sometime around July and it shot back up again -- but now there are no
flower buds on the long new shoots. There are only flowers on new short
side branches from the bits I didn`t cut back. What did I do wrong?

July was a bit late to prune the common forsythias, but there are are several
different forsythias. Most of them if you cut them back after flowering, they
make nice new shoots which flower the next Spring.

However there is at least one which I inherited from my father that flowers
on 2 year old wood only. With this one if you want a display every year you
have to cut back half of the branches each year.

I do not know the variety name, but it is definitely worth growing. The
flowers are actually on short laterals from the two year old wood, so you get
magnificent flowering spikes.

John

--
EurIng J Rye CEng FIEE Electrical Engineering Consultant
18 Wentworth Close Hadleigh IPSWICH IP7 5SA England